Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sportband vs Treadmill

I used my Nike Sportband for the first time on Tuesday. Since it was "hurricaning" outside, I took my run inside - to the treadmill. I was all pumped up about using the band for the first time! During my run, I thought something was a little off when I had run the full two miles yet my band said I had only run 1.56 miles. It said my pace was 9:08 vs the treadmills pace of 10:20. The band said I had been running for 22 minutes total. Treadmill said I had been running for 21 minutes total. I finished my run knowing that I had run at least two miles because I know my pace and I can tell time. Amazing, huh? I left the gym thoroughly confused.

Once I made it home, I started looking up information about the Sportband to see what was going on with it. Apparently the bands do not like treadmills because the shoe sensor doesn't always realize when you have taken a step because of the movement of the treadmill. So...I will not be running on a treadmill anymore with the band. Sure, there may be days that I have to run on the treadmill to be able to get my run in at all. I just won't be tracking those runs.

Score at the end of the day - Treadmill 1 - Sportband 0.

Today is a 5 miler. Yippee.

No comments: