Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 1 of My Not Really First Week

As I mentioned in my last post, I never have been a big fan of running. I knew that if I was going to do this I just had to start running and not look back or I probably wouldn't make it to the end. I've been running for about two months now just building up stamina, working on breathing and distance, etc. I've been pretty anxious about starting the actual training for the half marathon.

Yesterday I finally got around to printing out the schedule for the training. It is a 16 week training and on the last day of the training, you run the half marathon. (For those that are interested, the program came from Smartcoach at Runner's World.) I got home last night, was looking over the program and realized that in typical Michelle fashion...I was off by a week and the half marathon is actually 17 weeks away. Nice! To make up for it, I decided that I would just start Week 1 of the program and re-run it again next week. Then, I'll be on track!

Today was the first day of the not so first week. I only had to run two miles today so it was a breeze. The program has suggested paces and I'm running about two minutes faster than I should be. I'm hoping that will just help me at some point. Something told me that I should run early today because I had a feeling my afternoon would be busy or something would come up. And...I was right. As usual :) My afternoon at work was busy and it started to rain! I'm not a big fan of running on treadmills so I'm glad I got my run in early and didn't have to do it at the gym. And as an added bonus - it only felt like 150 degrees outside this morning instead of the normal 200 degrees is usually feels like outside. Oh what I would give to be running at mom's in June Lake where it is 75 and the humidity is around 35%. No wonder so many Olympic runners live near there!

1 day down. 116 to go.

No comments: