Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In The Beginning

So, for those of you that don't know, I have decided that I want to run a half marathon. I wish that I had a profound explanation as to why I want to put myself through the torture but, alas, I do not. I was driving home from work one afternoon in June and though, I think I'll start running. Much in the form of Forrest Gump, actually. No real reason. Just to run. I set some pretty high goals for myself at work this year and have done mighty well at accomplishing them so far. So, it was time to set some personal goals as well. I started checking out some running sites such as Runner's World and Mississippi Track Club. I quickly decided that I was going to run a half marathon one day and decided it was time to start prepping for it. It helped that there is a half marathon in Madison in December. The biggest shocker of all of this - I HATE RUNNING. Or at least I did! I am finally starting to like it but that's another post for another day. In fact, when I first told John that I was going to start running, he laughed. Yes, really. He knew how much I despised running and I guess he just thought it was funny. I mean, I'm not always the most serious person in the world. And would you believe it...I have been running for about two months now. I have been running about 12 miles or so per week. I have run two 5Ks and I met my goal - finish and not be last! I've lost 13 pounds so far. And for those of you that think I didn't have 13 pounds to lose, I did. Thankyouverymuch. In addition to the running, I'm also working out at the gym two or three days a week as well. And...I am eating much, much better! I'll talk about that later, too!

I hope to get this little blog updated daily or almost daily. This is a quick overview at what I'm doing and why. It should be interesting to see how this turns out. So, here I go!

No comments: