Monday, August 25, 2008

Shoes...Arches...Aches

I learned today that I have high arches and that they are falling when I walk and/or run. Um...okay? Apparently, my old shoes weren't supporting my arches enough and that is the likely cause of my knee issues from yesterday. My ankles were turning in while I was running and it put additional pressure on my iliotibial band - the source of the pain in my knees yesterday. So...a nice chunk of change later I have some new Nikes, arch support insert thingies (you like that technical term, huh?), new synthetic socks and a desire to purchase the Nike Sportband.

About the Nike Sportband...I wish I knew someone who was using it. I didn't even realize that my shoes were compatible with it until I was paying for them. Nike initially had a chip that would sync with your iPod but now it syncs with a wrist band that reads out the data while you run. Once you are done, you can hook it up to your computer and it will track all sorts of fun stuff. You can check your distance, calories, pace, etc. On the computer it tracks all of your data and you can compare your runs and progress. I have a feeling I'll cave pretty soon and get one!

On the home front, Bodie has bronchitis and John is really sick as well. I did manage to still get to the gym somehow today. I didn't do any cardio or anything that used legs. Just worked arms, chest and abs. Before I worked out I had the lady measure me because it had been a while. So far, I have lost 9 1/2 inches total! I was totally stoked!! Best news I heard all day...for sure!

Tomorrow, its back to the start of the training. Going to hopefully make it the 2 miles I have to run with no pain in my knees. If it does start to hurt, I am supposed to stop running immediately. No fun! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new shoe setup does the trick!

1 comment:

Robin Hart said...

Your mom has high arches... :) sorry... another thing to blame on me.