Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, Runday

Today was my Sunday, Runday. As I mentioned, Tropical Storm Fay entered the area on Saturday and dumped a ton of rain on central Mississippi. Knowing that I had to run 6 miles today, I was determined not to let Fay "Fayz" me. I didn't to do the treadmill things so I went to the park and ran 6 miles in the rain. It wasn't so bad, actually. In fact, I'd prefer to run in the rain every day! Today was the best run I've ever had. I ran the entire 6 miles only stopping once to rehydrate myself. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it but the temperature was great and the rain kept me cool. I started off with what was supposed to be a waterproof jacket but apparently it was only water resistant. I ran the first mile with that but then shed the jacket and traded out the jacket's hood for a baseball cap. The cap kept the rain from directly hitting me in the face so that was good. The park was completely empty...something I am not used to. I turned up my iPod, thought about life and just ran. As I said before, this was hands down the best run I have had so far!

Once I got home, I took an extremely long shower and then passed out on the couch for a while. When I woke up from my nap, my knees were killing me! I have been icing them down intermittently but they kill when I'm up and walking around. I'm hoping its not a big deal and its just stress from the longer run today. I really can't remember if my knee hurt when I was running today. I don't remember it hurting much but I have a tendency to block out the pain so that I can continue to run. I'm going to get some new shoes tomorrow so maybe that will help!

My "real" first week starts again this week. Looking ahead...it should be pretty simple since I have already done it all once now! Tomorrow will be a gym day...I'm thinking early a.m. as of now. I guess it depends on how these knees of mine cooperate.

6 days down. 111 to go.

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
- Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian and sub-2:12 marathoner



No comments: